Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Music

In light of Andrew's blog post on music, I've decided to write a little bit too. Actually, I was planning on writing this post, but I'm just so darn busy and lazy...I need to get myself to blog consistently.

*note to self: if you're going to procrastinate [like I am doing at the moment], you might as well blog and be productive*

Anyway, Andrew talked about how college kids are key consumers in the music industry. College kids are the ones who search and find unknown songs. Slowly but surely, these songs are passed on from one person to another, heard across the courtyard, and at small gigs in the campus cafe.

At the beginning of the year, I heard a band named yOya...they were playing at some point on campus at USC and I just happened to stick around. [They're also playing this Wednesday at Ground Zero here at USC. Unfortunately I can't go due to other obligations. Sad days...] They were simply amazing...back in the fall, they were in the middle of changing their sound. A two man band, with one guy on the keys/percussion and the other on the guitar. Both sing. Somehow something stirred in my soul as I watch them live. Real, raw talent. I'm not musically savvy, but the guy on the keys/percussion was maintaining all of this through some kind of machine that lets you add sounds and such [or at least I think that's what it was!]. Anyway, he was adding various percussion and wow...I watched him intently listening to the timing and snapping out the rhythm so fast in order to put in the next sound at the perfect time. I love their focus on the various elements of percussion.

Since hearing them, I've been really into indie rock. While Top 40 is great when going out, it makes me laugh and die a little inside to think that this is our generations "music". Okay maybe that was harsh, but in a time of auto-tune and whatnot, I am in love with the sounds of raw music. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to shell out my non-existent money to buy their cd.

Anyway, if indie rock is anything up your ally, or want to check out something new, yOya is releasing their album and has a free preview right now for the next week. All you have to do is put in your email, so if you get a chance to listen I'd love to hear what you think. If you don't want to listen to the whole thing, my favorite tracks are Fireworks, Looking in the Window, Lovers On, and New Years Morning.


Time for bed. It's going to be a busy week!

No comments:

Post a Comment